06 Jul Fundamentals of Travel Health – Study Day 2021
Fundamentals of Travel Health – Back to Basics
NMBI Category One Approved – 6 NMBI CEUs
Covid-19 virus continues to impact our lives and country in many ways, and has been felt in a personal, professional and financial capacity.
We are mindful that international travel may still be impacted for some time to come and there will be a reluctance among some of the general public to travel. Hopefully as Covid-19 vaccination increases, confidence in overseas travel will return and the demand for travel healthcare will also return. As you are aware we postponed the travel health study day due to restrictions on gatherings. We want the knowledge you gain from the study day to be fresh and ready for you to provide the most appropriate care and advice to your patients when travel resumes.
To this end we are now running the Fundamentals of Travel Health Study Day in a virtual environment via zoom. We have split it into two sessions, you need to attend both sessions to attain your certificate of completion.
Part One: Thursday 26th August 2pm-5.30pm AND Part Two: Thursday 2nd September 2pm-5.30pm
We are giving those of you who booked or expressed an interest in the course last year first options to rebook. We will then offer any remaining places in the normal way. Places are limited as we want to allow time for discussion and questions therefore places will be allocated on a first come basis.
– Running a Travel Health Clinic – Focus on Role of Dr / Nurse, Equipment,
– Resources required. On-going education, Documentation & Medication management.
– Risk Avoidance/ Patient Education – Focus on Food & water, Swimming, Sun, Insect bite protection, Rabies, Jet lag, Travellers’ diarrhoea risks.
– Immunisation Update /Revision – Principles of immunisation. Live, non-live vaccines
– Yellow Fever, An Overview – International Health Regulation, YF Licence, Vaccine precautions.
– Pre-Travel Assessment – Focus on Single country / multiple country trips, Back-packer, Family trips, Covid-19 (Case studies and group participation).
– Travel Vaccine Schedules – Focus on common / less common travel vaccines,
– Interrupted schedules and the ’Last-minute’ traveller.
– Vaccine Planning & Case Studies
– MCQ assessment, Questions & Answers
Main Speaker: Patricia Brady RGN (long serving committee member of the Travel Medicine Society of Ireland). Jane Campion RGN MHSc. Jane & Patricia have Diplomas in Tropical Nursing, RCSI and extensive experience in Travel Health.
The Course requirements are:
Registered with NMBI and have an interest in Travel Medicine & Health.
Working as a General Practice Nurse.
Participants will already be providing childhood immunisations and should be familiar with HSE Immunisation Foundation and National Anaphylaxis Education programmes for Healthcare Professionals (HSELand online).
Early booking is advised as places are limited.
To book click on the following link, when you go to pay it will bring you to a secure payments page. Fee €90.
Book HERE to secure your place.
We would like to thank everyone who expressed an interest you expressed in the travel health study day and the patience you have shown throughout this crisis. We look forward to meeting you. Until then, Stay Safe and Stay Well. Patricia & Jane.